Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The Lord gives, the Lord takes away - Blessed be the Name of the Lord

My employer informed me yesterday that, due to availability of the type of work they employ me for, I am being cut to 1/2 time and 1/2 salary shortly.

While this does not put me on the street immediately, it is a difficult challenge for our family to have our income cut nearly in half (I am currently the sole source of income). We have means to manage for a while, but not forever, at such levels, without putting the farm up for sale.

I am trying to see this in a good light - a nudge to move on from an excellent paying, but not spiritually satisfying, career/employment. However, having recently purchased a small farm as part of our dream to achieve a little more self-sufficiency, and pursue some long hoped for things, it is a blow insofar as, pending figuring out alternatives to make up that income, we could face losing it again, in the long run. I hoped to be able to plant the vineyard this year which would make the farm pay for at least the taxes and mortgage on it in 3-5 years. But perhaps now we will be lucky to simply hang on through the next growing season with what we have (which is quite a blessing in itself).

I remind myself that we are but dust - and it profits a man nothing to gain the world but lose his soul. There is but One thing needful, in the end. We are only stewards of the land, for as long as we are granted to be stewards. Nevertheless, as a father and a husband, it is difficult to not be anxious that all that can be done for the family has been done.

Of your charity, I humbly ask for your prayers. Many face more dire circumstance each day, not even knowing what they may have to eat or where to sleep. Me, weak man that I am, am troubled by little things. Pray that I not be troubled by little things. Pray that what things the Lord would desire of me will be revealed to me in some fashion, and that I will not be blind to His purposes.

Pax

7 Comments:

Blogger Ochlophobist said...

God bless you in this time, and protect you and your family and the earth you find under your feet.

I will pray.

5:11 PM  
Blogger Ian Climacus said...

I came here via the Ochlophobist's blog.

Be assured of my [unworthy] prayers ascending from the Antipodes for you. God bless.

7:58 PM  
Blogger Steve Robinson said...

I too came here via Och's blog (and have followed your comments etc. over the years). I've been self employed in construction for almost 30 years and this past year I've had over 50% cut in work and my wife got a minimum wage job with a school this year to help out. We've had the electricity and water shut off, been late on everything, so far no re-po's (the only thing I make sure I pay is my work truck)...but we're surviving. May you find some creative ways to make the ends meet and find contentment in whatever state you are in. Prayers all around, for sure.

9:12 PM  
Blogger Mimi said...

Oh dear. Lord have Mercy, Lord have Mercy, Lord have Mercy.

10:47 AM  
Blogger Hilarius said...

Thank you to all - to have such friends!

Owen - what can I say? I am honored, humbled, and slightly embarrassed by the attention fostered by your kind blog post.

S-P - Although I follow your blog posts from time to time (such as the series on Capital Punishment), I was not aware that your construction business had taken such a turn, although it doesn't surprise me. My brother-in-law's construction business is so down that he's traveling great distances to take jobs. My own problems are insignificant - and I will pray for you and your family.

Ian - thank you! When I hear the word "Antiopodes" I always think of Benedick's plea to the prince to send him hence rather than discourse with Beatrice in Much Ado About Nothing:

Will your Grace command me any service to the world's end? I will go on the slightest errand now to the Antipodes that you can devise to send me on; I will fetch
you a toothpicker now from the furthest inch of Asia; bring
you the length of Prester Don John's foot; fetch you a hair
off the great Cham's beard; do you any embassage to the Pygmies—rather than hold three words' conference with
this harpy. You have no employment for me?


ha!

Mimi - true heart! Thank you!

11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I came here from The Ochlophobist. I will pray!

8:06 AM  
Blogger Terry (John) said...

I will pray for you and your family. I appreciate your thoughts about the "One thing needful," and not being troubled by little things. My situation is similar to others mentioned. I was recently surprised to learn that my business was only off 43% this year. I expected far worse. Again, you will be in my daily prayers.

7:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home