Thursday, October 05, 2006

Christian Bedu of Jordanian Interior


Arab Christian Girl - c. 1920-1933, photo in Library of Congress Archive

Douglas over a the Scrivener has recently posted an article about Orthodox Missions to Muslims. His mention of the conversion of the Al-Khattab tribe spurred a memory of some recent scholarly work done on a couple of nomadic Christian tribes that settled in Jordan's Karak Plateau in the ancient village of Simakiyya about the turn of the century. One tribe is Greek Melkite, the other adheres to the Latin Patriarchate (both in communion with Rome).

Great pictures on the site.

-Pax

2 Comments:

Blogger D. I. Dalrymple said...

What a wonderful photo, and a great link to the Simakiyya study.

Say, I noted on one of your other posts that you were back in the US for a while there. Are they sending you overseas again? Are you there already?

3:00 PM  
Blogger Hilarius said...

I am back in the US - I should update my sidebar location I suppose.

Perhaps soon I will return there . . . one day at a time, right?

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home