Monday, July 19, 2010

Vanity of Vanities - all is Vanity

A line from a song I like goes like this:

At times life's unfair and you know it's plain to see. Hey God, I know I'm just a dot in this world, have you forgot about me? Whatever life brings I've been through everything And now I'm on my knees again

But I know I must go on,
Although I hurt I must be strong,
Because inside I know that many feel this way


++++++++++++

I had occasion to fly to LA recently on a short business trip. I am always amazed at the lack of interest people have in the fact that they are cruising through the heavens faster and higher than any bird, and able to see the world laid out below them in a way that was inaccessible to mankind generally prior to the Jet Age. People are now so immune to wonder that they'd rather think or talk about anything but this incredible marvel of zooming through the heavens.

Flying past cities, particularly as we skirted to the East of the Bay Area and Sacramento, and as we crossed the coast east of Point Conception and the massive megalopolis of the Los Angeles area spread out to our Southeast, I was reminded, as I am often when flying, of the myriads of people down there (and sitting around me) with their hopes and fears, worries and stratagems, and how insignificant all of these concerns are, and yet how precious each one of these souls are, with all their foibles and farces that are pursued with great seriousness.

There are so many people, it staggers the imagination. Next time you are in an airport, just sit and people watch and consider all the people rushing to fly somewhere and wonder - where are they going in such haste, each one feeling that their journey is of great importance (perhaps of greater importance than yours!)? Then get in your plane, look out the window (if your neighbor doesn't rudely close the blinds to blot out any distraction created by the real world so that they may enjoy their cocktail, reading light, and banal conversations), and consider that those forests have been there, those rivers have flowed, and those mountains have imperceptibly crept along while we, like mayflies, rush around in futile pursuits.

And then . . . be still . . . and remember God and marvel that he might deign to remember you.

It's a marvel.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ρωμανός ~ Romanós said...

Thanks for sharing these thoughts. They are the same as mine whenever I (rarely) get to fly anywhere. To me it is always a "religious experience" and a time of wonder and prayer, as is the rest of my life, only much, much more intense!

Glory to God!

Hope you are well, brother. I never cease thinking about you and praying for you. We are traveling along side by side as we follow behind Jesus, and knowing we will be home soon is a thought that brings me joy.

10:07 PM  
Blogger Hilarius said...

Home - that is a good thought. As I've said elsewhere, I often feel as though I am out on a mission, awaiting orders to come home, but knowing until those come, I must press on.

I value your prayers very much, Romanos. My problems aren't very special, but I have been in a rough patch lately. Nevertheless, although I don't comment often at your site, it is one of the few I read regularly, and one of the few that is positive and encouraging, even when you are giving warnings.

So . . . thank you!

-Eric John

6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home