Monday, June 08, 2009

Of Wisdom and of the Voice of Truth (revised)

I have edited the original post. My apologies to any reader who did not comment but might be looking for it. I reflected on this post over the weekend and decided that it was unworthy musing - worthy for a fireside chat with an old friend, perhaps, but when written in public blogdom it shows both my ignorance and does not serve to edify.

Thus I have redacted the discussion of time, and the discussion of a wistful desire to be an intellectual, a goal which I will never achieve but which I realize isn't necessarily all it's cracked up to be.

++++++++++++
The LORD possessed me in the beginning of his way, before his works of old. I was set up from everlasting, from the beginning, or ever the earth was. When there were no depths, I was brought forth; when there were no fountains abounding with water. Before the mountains were settled, before the hills was I brought forth: While as yet he had not made the earth, nor the fields, nor the highest part of the dust of the world. When he prepared the heavens, I was there: when he set a compass upon the face of the depth: When he established the clouds above: when he strengthened the fountains of the deep: When he gave to the sea his decree, that the waters should not pass his commandment: when he appointed the foundations of the earth: Then I was by him, as one brought up with him: and I was daily his delight, rejoicing always before him; Rejoicing in the habitable part of his earth; and my delights were with the sons of men.

Now therefore hearken unto me, O ye children: for blessed are they that keep my ways. Hear instruction, and be wise, and refuse it not. Blessed is the man that heareth me, watching daily at my gates, waiting at the posts of my doors. For whoso findeth me findeth life, and shall obtain favour of the LORD.

But he that sinneth against me wrongeth his own soul: all they that hate me love death.


Proverbs 8:22-36

Although Divine Wisdom is typically referred to in the feminine in the OT - the Fathers consistently saw this passage as a description of the Christ. The great Church Historian, Eusebius, almost casually ties the two together in talking about the eternal begottenness of the Son.

Jesus tells the Samaritan woman at the well (Gospel of John) that the time is coming, and now is, that people will no longer worship in the temple or on mount Gerezim, but the true worshipers will worship the Father in Spirit and in Truth. In the same Gospel he explains he is the Truth, the Way, the Life and he promises that the Spirit will come and lead the Apostles in all Truth. All who hear His Voice hear the Truth.

Truth is a man. We worship in Trinity - Father, Truth (Son), and Spirit. This is Wisdom. Wisdom, if we find it, giveth life (Proverbs 8) and if we hear Him, we hear the Voice of Truth, we hearken unto Wisdom, who was with the Father when Time was not.

No philosophy of man or sophistry of education will get me farther than this, that I should truly know what Jesus is talking about: "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3).

A little child can hear His voice better than I can, and no 'book-larnin' will bring me closer - but there are things that will. I pray I may find that, for that is what I really long for. No field equations exist for love as yet. No mathematical nicety can model what happened at the Cross.

Today's Gospel reading (Greek lectionary) is:

“Most assuredly, I say to you, he who does not enter the sheepfold by the door, but climbs up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber. But he who enters by the door is the shepherd of the sheep.

To him the doorkeeper opens, and the sheep hear his voice; and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. And when he brings out his own sheep, he goes before them; and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice. Yet they will by no means follow a stranger, but will flee from him, for they do not know the voice of strangers.”

Jesus used this illustration, but they did not understand the things which He spoke to them.

Then Jesus said to them again, “Most assuredly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep. All who ever came before Me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them. I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture. The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home