Friday, March 30, 2007

Forty Days in the Desert of Lent - The Fortieth Day

9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. 10 Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. 11 Give us this day our daily bread. 12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. 13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen. 14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: 15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

16 Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. 17 But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face; 18 That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly.

19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: 20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: 21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. 22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light. 23 But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!


- Gospel According to St. Matthew Ch. 6 (KJV)

1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. 3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name' sake. 4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. 5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. 6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

- Psalm 23 (KJV) (LXX=22)

1 (22:1) ψαλμος τω δαυιδ κυριος ποιμαινει με και ουδεν με υστερησει 2 (22:2) εις τοπον χλοης εκει με κατεσκηνωσεν επι υδατος αναπαυσεως εξεθρεψεν με 3 (22:3) την ψυχην μου επεστρεψεν ωδηγησεν με επι τριβους δικαιοσυνης ενεκεν του ονοματος αυτου 4 (22:4) εαν γαρ και πορευθω εν μεσω σκιας θανατου ου φοβηθησομαι κακα οτι συ μετ εμου ει η ραβδος σου και η βακτηρια σου αυται με παρεκαλεσαν 5 (22:5) ητοιμασας ενωπιον μου τραπεζαν εξ εναντιας των θλιβοντων με ελιπανας εν ελαιω την κεφαλην μου και το ποτηριον σου μεθυσκον ως κρατιστον 6 (22:6) και το ελεος σου καταδιωξεται με πασας τας ημερας της ζωης μου και το κατοικειν με εν οικω κυριου εις μακροτητα ημερων

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Hilarius said...

I love the Greek Septuagint here - "The Lord shepherds me"

8:56 PM  
Blogger Mimi said...

We have completed the forty days of the fast...

Thank you, my friend for these wonderful posts this Lent.

11:23 AM  
Blogger Hilarius said...

I wish I could say I completed it without fail, but I have fallen and gotten up, again and again.

Now, though, we somehow are prepared (some better than others) for the greater fast/movement/cycle of Holy Week, I suppose.

Keep under His mercy, and have a blessed weekend crying "Hosanna! Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord!"

Pax

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home