Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Forty Days in the Desert of Lent - Day 23

10 Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.
11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men [are], extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.
13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as [his] eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified [rather] than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.


- Gospel according to St. Luke Ch. 18

[Orthodox will know this is the text for the Sunday of the Publican, one of the pre-Lenten preparatory Sunday texts that the Church appoints for us . . . it seemed good for me to reflect on it again during this season of fasting and almsgiving].

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

What a great point to reflect upon it in the midst of the fast.

I have to admit, I enjoy seeing the days tick by on your blog, grin!

9:50 AM  
Blogger Hilarius said...

Thanks Mimi . . . I may be a bit tardy in posting the next few days due to travels hither and yon.

May the Lord protect and defend you.

3:35 PM  
Blogger Mimi said...

May you travel safely. Godspeed.

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home